Aleria archeological museum: a place full of cultural treasures
- Published: 2 December 2015
- Category: Places to See
Its full name, in French, is Musée départemental d’archéologie Jérôme Carcopino. It is located in the Fort of Matra (which you can admire in this picture). But it is better known with another name: Aleria archeological museum. And it is a place that you should visit during your vacation to Corsica.
Named after the French historian Jérôme Carcopino, the museum is one of the most precious cultural treasures that Corsica can offer. Aleria was not only the capital of the island: before being destroyed by the Vandals in the Fifth century, was a Greek, Carthaginian and Roman colony.
This ancient story has left inestimable finds, found in the archaeological site of Aleria: two Greek cups depicting the heads of a dog and a horse, a plate depicting one of Hannibal’s elephants, veses and ceramics (Greek, Etruscan and Roman), bronze weapons, coins.
Aleria archaeological museum is like a treasure. A casket that contains information not only about the past of Corsica but also about other cultures that sailed the waters of the Mediterranean Sea.
Hot to get there
The museum is located in the old part of Aleria, about two kilometer from the modern town.
- To get there from Bastia, take the N193 road to Casamozza and then the N198 road to Aleria. The trip by car takes about one hour.
- To get there from Ajaccio, take the N193 road to Venaco and then the N200 road to Aleria. The trip by car takes less than two hours.
- To get there from Porto Vecchio, take the N198 road to Aleria. The trip by car takes about one hour and forty minutes.
One you are in Aleria, follow the road signs to the archeological site.
Opening hours and tichets
- From May 16 to September 30, the museum is open from 8am to 12pm and from 2pm to 9pm
- From October 1 to May 15, the museum is open from 8am to 12pm and from 2pm to 5pm
- Full price ticket costs 2 euros, reduced price tickets costs 1 euro.
For further information about Aleria archeological museum, you can visit Aleria municipality official website, Aleria.fr.
Image source: “Aleria, Fort de Matra3” di Clio20, Opera propria, 2006-09-04. Con licenza CC BY-SA 3.0 tramite Wikimedia Commons