Travel along the west coast of Corsica: places not to be missed and dream beaches
- Published: 18-05-2018
- Category: Places to See
Beaches, cities, protected areas, prehistoric sites, ancient castles: this is the west coast of Corsica. A journey full of places to see and things to do. And following this advice you can discover the most beautiful places.
What to see
- Girolata. It can only be accessed by sea. Once you arrive, you will see a unique show, volcanic landscape: steep cliffs, jagged peaks, lava flows, canals and stairways. All this overlooks a sea full of colors and life. Suitable especially for snorkelling and diving enthusiasts.
- Scandola. It is located just north of Girolata. Scandola is an important natural reserve, with a record: it is the only one in Europe to be both marine and terrestrial. A turquoise sea as you will rarely see it.
- Porto. A small but welcoming seaside resort, recommended for those seeking relaxation and beaches on holiday. Porto is renowned for its sunset, for the Genoese Tower with adjoining museum, for the aquarium.
- Piana. The very first thing to see here are the calanques: they are granite formations that, depending on the time of day, change color, going from orange to red. Left the calanche, there is the town of Piana, a charming village with the homonymous gulf in front and Mount Cinto behind.
- Cargèse. It could be renamed the city of the two churches, the Latin and the Greek. Both are obviously to be seen.
- Ajaccio. One of the main cities to visit in Corsica, at the center of the homonymous big region. Its beaches are to be seen from spring to autumn. The evening is announced by the sunset that turns the Sanguinaires islands red. Here you can practice all activities related to the sea: diving, water skiing, fishing. And then you must taste the typical dishes of Corsica in one of the many famous restaurants in the historic center.
- Sartenais, Valinco, Taravo. The journey along the west coast of Corsica ends in this small area. An area where Corsica has its roots, with numerous prehistoric sites and an ancient castle. The coast of Roccapina, Tizzano and Porto Pollo is a succession of coves, beaches and small coves. To be seen there are the tower of Campomoro, the village of Olmeto, the stronghold of Foce.
The most beautiful beaches
These are the places to see. And if your holiday will take place in the summer, you can not miss to admire the most beautiful beaches of eastern Corsica, which are located near these three locations:
- Propriano, overlooking the homonymous gulf, a succession of enchanting sandy beaches;
- Ajaccio, which boasts three splendid beaches such as Marinella, Saint-François and Isolella;
- Porto, a coastal village in the municipality of Ota, especially indicated for those who want to enjoy lots of relaxation.
How to get
The best starting point to reach the various places to see along the west coast of Corsica? Surely Ajaccio, the main town on the island, easily accessible by ferry. Ferry on which we also advise you to embark a car or a motorcycle, so you can move in total freedom.
Image source: Flickr.com/photos/terrettaRelated articles