October 21st: all ready for the Porto Vecchio Marathon 2018
- Published: 11-09-2018
- Category: Events
Autumn in Corsica is full of sport. If you love racing, competitive or not, the Porto Vecchio Marathon, scheduled for October 21st, is an excellent reason to plan an off-season vacation on the French island.
Now in its 2018 edition, the famous Porto Vecchio International Marathon is back again this year at the beginning of the holidays de la Touissaint, the seventh holiday planned by the French school in autumn, on October 21st to be exact. This foot race owes its fame first of all to the technical path on which the athletes are invited to compete: a 42 km long itinerary that starts in Porto Vecchio and reaches the Santa Giulia beach. Along the way you can admire amazing views on the most beautiful beaches of southern Corsica: the beach of Saint Cyprien, Palombaggia, etc.
The 4 specialties
The course of the marathon differs naturally due to difficulty and length. There are 4 specialties to which you can register, from the one reserved for athletes to that accessible even to simple amateurs, attracted by the beautiful outdoor experience rather than the real competition.
- 42 Km Marathon: the complete route starts from Lecci and goes up to the Santa Giulia beach;
- Half marathon: the path of 21.09 Km starts from Porto Vecchio, from the port de commerce and reaches the common destination to all specialties, the beach of Santa Giulia;
- 10 Km: the route connects the beach of Palombaggia and the beach of Santa Giulia;
- 8 km sporting march: also this path reserved for the march starts from Palombaggia and reaches Santa Giulia, but following the shorter coastal route.
In short, there is really something for all ages and the level of training.
Visiting the area
The race takes place on Sundays and can be a good opportunity to book one of the ferries to Corsica and organize a short break to discover the south of the island. You can take advantage of it for:
- Visiting Porto Vecchio, there are two famous art galleries housed in this town;
- Take a trip to Bonifacio;
- Make a tour along the most beautiful beaches of the south coast, among the most loved of the whole island.
The start of the marathon is at 8:00 a.m., followed by other specialties. In all cases an enrollment is required. For further information and possible variations on the dates, we suggest you visit the official website Marathon-portovecchio.com.Related articles