The fiadone with brocciu: all the taste of one of the most typical sweets of Corsica
- Published: 11-01-2017
- Category: Typicalness and Curiosities
Corsica, in addition to the opportunity for all its visitors to discover unforgettable places, can also boast a great culinary tradition. And since you are hopelessly (and justified) gluttons, this could be considered the typical sweet of Corsica par excellence: the fiadone with brocciu.
To prepare the typical Corsican fiadone, it takes half kilogram of brocciu (also called casgiu naziunale, “national cheese”, its flavor is similar to ricotta cheese but is much more intense, also the texture is more compact), six eggs, three hundred grams of sugar, grated lemon peel and vanilla extract as you like.
How to prepare
- Stir the egg yolks with the sugar.
- Add gradually and stir, the ricotta, the lemon peel and the vanilla.
- Beat until stiff the egg whites and add to mixture.
- Pour the mixture into a round cake pan with high sides. Before you do this, cover the bottom of the pan with baking paper.
- Bake: 175 degrees of temperature, 45 minutes.
- Once cooked, let it cool and place the fiadone in the fridge for a couple of hours.
At this point, you are ready to taste the fiadone you have prepared with your own hands. This cake has a strong enough flavor, just like its main ingredient, the brocciu. We must say that the fiadone prepared in its homeland will always have a different flavor. And to taste it, you just need to book a place on one of the ferries to Corsica and start thinking about the next vacation.
Image source: Flickr.com/photos/goulvenchampenoisRelated articles